Instructor: Sandy O’Brien, CLT, LMT
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2023
CE Hours: 8
NECK CHECK – An in-depth look at massaging the muscles in the neck
With Sandy O’Brien, CLT, LMT
This course is designed to help massage therapists become more familiar with doing work on the extremely intricate muscles of the neck. The neck is so complex, it is possible to spend an entire one-hour session on just this area! (and this class will show students how) The anatomy of the neck is often the victim of imbalances elsewhere in the body. Repeated behaviors and postural issues often disrupt the delicate balance of the neck and perhaps a few of the muscles that connect to it. This course is intended to help massage therapists to identify neck issues and learn effective ways to treat them.
• Participants will become more proficient in the anatomy of the neck.
• Participants will learn the anatomy landmarks of the neck and their contraindications.
• Participants will learn the contraindications of massaging the neck.
• Participants will learn to evaluate client neck posture and assess client complaints.
• Participants will learn to recognize key words and phrases to identify possible muscle restrictions in clients. For example: “I work at a desk all day”, “It only hurts after I do planks”, and “I ride a bike”.
• Participants will learn how to create effective treatment plans based on client evaluations.
• Participants will learn how to communicate with clients effectively about the treatment plan, its benefits and how it is done.
• Participants will learn massage techniques for working the neck intimately.
ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTOR:
As a long time massage recipient, Sandy O’Brien utilized massage to help with chronic back pain and migraine for over twenty years. After a bout with breast cancer in 2011, Sandy decided to learn more about the modalities that brought her so much comfort through uncomfortable times. Graduating from Cortiva Institute of Massage Therapy in 2014, Sandy opened a massage studio in Conshohocken where she practices numerous types of massage and energy work. Modalities include Thai Massage, Deep Tissue, Gua Sha, Mu Xing (hot bamboo), Pre-natal, Manual Lymph Drainage, Sports Massage, Medical Massage, Reiki, Trigger Point Therapy, Active and Passive Release Techniques, and the tool box just keeps growing as Sandy’s passion for massage keeps her wanting to learn more whenever she can.
As part of her practice Sandy also helps clients through crisis. Having survived cancer, divorce, tragic loss, and other life altering misfortunes, Sandy learned not only how trauma affects the body but how to stay positive and manage a way through to a better circumstance. Often times this included fear, doubt and lonely moments as well as physical discomfort and pain. Modalities and conversations are used to help clients achieve releases within their bodies. She is a resource for clients who need a body worker, a healer, friend, hand to hold, while transitioning through a rough patch. This is a way for clients to learn to navigate their own emotions and affects on their bodies, to become more aware of the mind-body connection and to find comfort in knowing they are not alone.
Always looking for a positive spin, a silver lining, the better of two evils, stems from Sandy’s optimistic view of rain, which she calls “Liquid Sunshine!”