Hospice Massage is a two-day intensive class that explores the need-to-know information for a massage therapist interested in working in a hospice setting. The class will prepare the professional massage therapist to understand the history of hospice, the difference between hospice and palliative care and the role of a massage therapist in hospice care. There will also be a discussion of how to find hospice clients and all the most important aspects of working with this unique population. Touch techniques for medically frail clients will be taught and practiced.
The participant will learn:
- The philosophy and history of hospice and palliative care.
- The physical-mental-emotional-spiritual needs of clients in end of life care.
- How to safely and effectively provide touch to clients at end of life.
- The importance of building trust and confidentiality in hospice care relationships.
- Active listening skills.
- The emotional challenges of working with people at end of life and self-care skills for the massage practitioner.
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary care team
- Maintaining professional boundaries and the importance of self-care while caring for the dying.